Saturday 10 November 2012

CHILD MOLESTATION IN NIGERIA



 I was going through my timeline on twitter this morning, when I saw a picture of a baby; I assume she should be three years old with an adult male who inserted his male reproductive organ in her mouth. For the sake of public policy, I will not display this picture. I am writing this article because I intend to be a mother someday and I will protect my children against such.

     Child molestation is a crime in Nigeria which is punishable by imprisonment. Immorality has eaten deep into the moral fabric of our society to the extent that child molestation is publicly carried out. Child molestation has so many adverse effects on the victim, the child begins to develop inferiority complex and is most likely going to abuse or molest another child when he or she is an adult. The child may also engage in substance use or alcohol when he or she is older, depression, suicide, strained relationships, identity issues and discomfort with sex. The child may also develop anger towards the society and withdraw socially.

      Child molestation can be prevented. Parents; it is important that you teach your children about sex no matter how small they are. Let them know that certain areas in their bodies are sacred and should not be played with. Do not turn them down when they ask you questions about sex or give fake answers, make them free to approach you and report any strange behavior they notice. Do not leave them in the care of anyone you do not know.

My fellow Nigerians, let us protect the innocence of children. Kindly share this article with your loved ones.  

No comments:

Post a Comment